The Site Selectors Guild Releases “State of Site Selection” Report with Development Counsellors International
The Site Selectors Guild (the Guild), the professional association of the world’s leading corporate location advisors, and Development Counsellors International (DCI), a marketing agency specializing in economic development and tourism, have released a joint research report on the top trends impacting corporate location decisions, titled The State of Site Selection.
The past five years have seen unprecedented change in the world of corporate site selection. A tightening labor market, growing concerns about trade wars, rapid technological change and the completion of Amazon HQ2 are primary illustrations of such change. The Guild and DCI joined forces on a multi-pronged research effort to identify how these changes are impacting perceptions and the location decision making process in the United States and globally.
Key report findings include:
- The Workforce Effect: With the lowest unemployment and talent migration rates in decades, companies across industries are getting creative with recruitment.
- The Trump Effect: Trade wars and tariffs have generated uncertainty in corporate location decisions, and “winners” in the trade war include companies heavily reliant on raw materials in which the U.S. is the lowest cost producer (i.e., certain agricultural products, crude, natural gas, chemical components etc.).
- The Next Day Effect: The rise of e-commerce has resulted in a surge of distribution facilities, and the consumer expectation of next-day delivery has impacted where these facilities locate.
- The Public Scrutiny Effect: High profile corporate location decisions have thrown incentives under the microscope. Most Guild members believe performance-based incentives are a “win-win” proposition.
- The Technology Effect: Technological advances have benefitted second and third-tier cities as locations for new corporate offices as many companies look to migrate from expensive, mostly coastal locations.
About the Site Selectors Guild
The Site Selectors Guild is the only association of the world’s foremost professional site selection consultants. Guild members provide location strategy to corporations across the globe and for every industry, sector, and function. Founded in 2010, the Site Selectors Guild is dedicated to advancing the profession of international corporate site selection by promoting integrity, objectivity, and professional development. Members are peer-nominated, vetted, and must demonstrate significant professional location advisory experience. Guild Membership is the highest standard in the site selection industry. For more information, visit siteselectorsguild.com or follow @siteselectguild on Twitter.
About Development Counsellors International
Development Counsellors International (DCI) is the leader in travel and economic development marketing — increasing visitors and business inquiries for places across the globe. Since 1960, DCI has worked with more than 450 cities, regions, states and countries, helping them attract both investors and visitors. DCI specializes exclusively in all phases of economic development and travel marketing. DCI has offices in New York, Denver, Toronto and Los Angeles. For more information, visit aboutdci.com or follow @aboutDCI on Twitter.